Saturday, November 5, 2011

Kindergarten Art lesson #1

DRAFT: I want to here give a brief account of each of the Art Lessons I provide the Kindergarten class this year so that I will be able to pass along anything I learn to the next Art Docent.  I was told that I would be provided lesson plans, and found this to be true but the plans suggested using Artists and Prints which I did not find available.  I'll give a quick accounting of how I used the suggestions as a starting point, and what I did to create a lesson I thought would provide the learning desired by the provided plans.

Lesson #1:  Supplies - poster of Lawrence print, construction paper in white, black, brown, red, blue, yellow, green, purple and orange, scissors, glue sticks

In this first lesson, I used the suggested artist, Jacob Lawrence, to illustrate the use of primary colors, geometric shapes, and to identify an artist's use of their own lives as subjects for their art works. The print "Marionettes" was not available from the supply of prints at the school library. I also did not think the lesson plan provided was developmentally appropriate for Kindergarteners.


I goggled Jacob Lawrence and found on AllPosters.com a print of "This is a Family Living in Harlem" which clearly illustrates his methods of using flat primary, and secondary, colors and working with geometric forms.  I bought a copy of this print.


I showed the poster to the class, asked them what they saw, and then pointed out the use of color and forms.  Then, I asked them to identify the geometric shapes (circles, triangles, rectangles, squares) I had cut out of school construction paper.  I asked the Kindergarten Teacher and his Volunteer to distribute to each student a piece of white paper, scissors, glue sticks, and a collection of geometric shapes in several primary and secondary colors.  Asked each student to glue down several pieces of paper to illustrate something from their own lives.  I observe a "rocket car" and "house with windows and doors".  

Evaluation:  Kindergarten Teacher said he was pleased with the lesson declaring it perfectly appropriate to his students' developmental level.  I too was happy to be able to keep up a quick pace which did not lose the students' attention.  I was concerned that some students were pretty messy and lacked skill with glue sticks; maybe I would do a mini lesson in using glue sticks, next time.  Maybe not, after all, Kindergarten is a time of messy work.  


I'd love to know if they remember any thing from the lesson but I am sure many will be happy with their product.

No comments:

Post a Comment