Tuesday, December 29, 2009

book discussion continued

One of our book group describes this book as a "quiet novel", meaning not a lot happens, it is not "plot driven" but it is interesting, deep, without being dense and complex. One theme which interested me is the debate between an optimistic, consistently sunny, outlook on life and people and a more realistic, sometimes pessimistic, outlook. I think this has been an internal debate for me, for years. I like to think of myself as realistic, intelligent, not easily fooled but I also recognize how much more fun life is when seen by eyes looking through "rose colored glasses". And, research has supported the idea that one is more successful, healthy, and satisfied if one takes the optimistic point of view.

The optimistic, sunny disposition characters in this book are often accused of being eaily fooled, and self-deceptive. And I must say that this question remains with me even after finishing the book.

There are some other themes in the book which make it an appealing read for many readers and I do recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment