Friday, January 1, 2010

New Year's Day musings

Yesterday's visit with my rheumatologist verified that the weakness I feel in my legs and hips is probably run-of-the-mill aging and wear and tear arthritis. His prescription: exercise, gentle exercise. Don't stop using my hands but use them gently. A very interesting challenge for me to be gentle with myself. I still feel that if a jar lid is hard to open the best solution is to try harder; punish my hands with really, really pushing the opening action. So, now I must try harder to be gentle.

And I caught myself dealing with
Travel as a Political Act
in a similar way. I want to power read my way through it so I will be ready to start, singlemindedly,
Wolf Hall
. Then I realized I was cheating Rick Steves by trying to read his book much too quickly. And I realized I could read the two, side by side, and enjoy them both. I opened
Wolf Hall
and was fascinated within the first page.

In fact, I intend to spend a large part of New Years Day - reading. Glorious Reading! Good reading to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment