Saturday, June 9, 2012

Relaxing on a Saturday

OK, not relaxing all that much!  I have started a To Do List that might be able to Eat Chicago!

1. clean the coffee machine, so that I can enjoy uninterrupted making of coffee latte next week, all week long
2. buy a birthday present, wrap, and mail:  Today.  This is because I love this person.
3.  Finish reading Among Others so I can get to reading the next book club book, Zeitoun.
4. clean out the refrigerator, and plan next week's food
5.  Make the ground turkey breakfast sausages
6.  Do at least some significant weeding
7.  Wash a couple of significant portions of the floors

There is more, no doubt, but this is what I have so far this morning.  I did make my bed!  So that is one gold star for me.

I think today will be a fine day.

Checking in at 1:15:  finished the book!  washed the hardwood part of the kitchen floors, did some minor weeding, trimmed a couple of trees (small job of trimming).  Progress!  I'm going to read some of Zeitoun now.


3 comments:

  1. Zeitoun looks interesting. How is it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far, a bit pedestrian. Just giving general background to the family's history, business, etc. But there is the ever present, looming presence of the STORM... which of course the reader knows all together too much about....


    I am happy to be reading it. Hoping I will like it in the end, but right now, I'm pretty "meh" about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, I finished reading it. And I really liked it. And just after I posted the above comment, it got much much better:

    Finished reading Zeitoun and am feeling quite "blown away" by it. It is a true story of a family in New Orleans and their Katrina experiences. The story is complicated by the fact that the father is from Syria, and that he and his wife are Muslims.

    Many of us saw that the police, military, and emergency response systems did not work in New Orleans after the Hurricane; and, many of us know that all too often innocent people are swept up in our legal systems and are victimized by inefficiencies, corruption, laziness, stupidity, injustice and just plain human errors. This nonfiction book colors in the outlines of those truths and will remain in this reader's memory for a long time to come.

    The tragedies that occurred before the storm (bad engineering of the levies), during the storm, and after the storm broke my heart then, and this book is breaking my heart again. But in the end, I must say I am filled with admiration for this family, who although grievously damaged, was not broken.

    I want everyone who reads this little review to seriously consider reading this book. It is a story which should be widely known.

    ReplyDelete